Thermal Products was asked to replace “In Kind” an older all 316L stainless steel Type BEM with vertical installation at a local food additives company. The existing unit was an 26” x 120” BEMV 316L/304L with 16 passes on the tube side.
Thermal Products was asked to provide an updated performance data sheet, ASME Code Calculations and engineering drawing. When the ASME Code Calculations were completed it was realized that the ASME Code requirements now required an expansion joint to be employed on the shell side. Because this was a “Drop in Replacement” project, meaning all pertinent dimensions needed to be held from the existing to the new installation, the addition of an expansion joint created a small challenge for us to maintain the critical dimensions. The Thermal Products team was not only able to incorporate the expansion joint while meeting ASME code requirements but also our customer need to maintain thermal performance and dimensional requirements.
The construction of the sanitary heat exchanger was as follows:
• 316L stainless steel tubes, tube sheets and heads
• 304L stainless steel balance
• Product surfaces were polished to 32u-inch Ra finish
• Exterior was polished to 40 Ra finish
• Tri-clamp product connection
• Hinged head cover for easy access to tube side for cleaning
• Garlock Gylon 3522 gaskets for food use
• Support legs for vertical installation
• Insulation jacket for outer shell
• Designed to TEMA C guidelines
• ASME Code Stamped
Thermal Products was also asked to provide the equipment dossier that included the following documents:
• Final Arrangement Drawing
• Design specification sheet
• ASME Code data report
• Weld Procedures (WPS, PQR, and WPQ)
• Weld log
• Welder qualification records
• Q350 R4 Visual Weld inspection
• Passivation certification
• Surface finish certification
• ElectroPolish certification
• Material Test Reports (MTR’s)
• Gasket certificate
• Insulation safety data sheet
• Hydro Test Certification
• ASME Code Calculations
• Unit ID plate
Whether your application is new or replacement, the Thermal Products team stands ready to assist you with your heat exchanger design from start to finish.
Click to the links below for more information on our products.
Please contact us today to discuss your project!